I’m not going to lie, I used to be a big soft drink fan, a very big one! I was very guilty of having a diet coke for lunch, thinking “it’s okay, I just drank a diet coke and now I am really full, who needs food?”. It didn’t really get me anywhere besides feeling bloated and basically yuk, a feeling that I started to become way too accustom to. It wasn’t until I starting taking my fitness seriously and starting to eat clean that I realized what soft drink was doing to me aaarrrrghhhh it wasn’t a nice realization!
Here are some of the side affects of soft drink and why you should completely eliminate it from your diet.
1. Phosphoric acid – roots your teeth and weakens your bones
2. Artificial sweeteners – they make you crave more sugar, in turn means you crave more soft drink or other bad sugar treats
3. High fructose corn syrup (bad, bad, bad) – is a concentrated form of sugar, fructose derived from corn. It will increase your body fat and cholesterol and will make you hungry, which equals bad cravings for bad foods!
4. Food dyes – they can cause impaired brain function, hyperactivity, lack of impulse control and difficulty focusing.
5. Fats in weird places – Danish researchers discovered that drinking soda can lead to dramatic increases in fat buildup around your liver and your skeletal muscles, both of which can contribute to insulin resistance and diabetes.
6. Aspartame – will raise your blood glucose levels, which can cause weight gain. When your liver encounters too much glucose, the excess glucose is converted to body fat.
7. Accelerated aging – contain phosphates, or phosphoric acid, a weak acid that gives soft drink its sweet flavor and improves their shelf life. One study suggests it could trigger accelerated aging. The study, published in a 2010 issue of the FASEB Journal, found that the excessive phosphate levels found in sodas caused lab rats to die a full five weeks earlier than the rats whose diets had more normal phosphate levels.
I don’t think you need to hear anymore do you?
If you are a regular soft drink consumer and you are looking to loose weight and improve your health, one of the first steps is to completely remove soft drink from you diet. It may suck for the first couple of weeks, as your body will be detoxing from the toxic harm of soft drink, which will in turn give you head aches and that yuk feeling. I guarantee that once you get passed the initial withdrawal you will be feeling amazing, just from taking soft drink out of your diet.
Enjoyed this post? Like it, Share it, Tweet it and leave a comment below!